Insight and ideation are key disciplines in identifying opportunities for true food and drink product innovation. With every food and drink category hyper-competitive, investing in me-too products or simply looking at the market today can result in the creation of products with limited potential for success. Insight and ideation play crucial roles in the shaping of innovative concepts by identifying and analysing consumer needs, desires, and preferences within the context of overall societal trends. Key areas for research and exploration are typically:
- Understanding changing dietary preferences, health and wellness concerns, sustainability concerns, and cultural shifts.
- Identifying emerging consumer preferences such as changes in dietary habits, interest in specific ingredients, or demand for certain flavours or cuisines within the context of evolving consumer tastes.
- Anticipating health and wellness trends such as the growing interest in plant-based diets, clean label products, functional foods, or sustainable sourcing.
- Addressing sustainability concerns by responding to the demand for eco-friendly packaging, reducing food waste, or supporting local and ethical sourcing practices, thereby contributing to a more sustainable future.
- Leveraging technology advancements in food processing, packaging, or delivery methods that align with the preferences of tech-savvy consumers.
- Analysing cultural shifts such as changing demographics, multicultural influences, and new dining experiences leading to the creation of concepts that resonate with diverse consumer segments and cater to their specific needs.
- Exploring new formats and experiences such as dining experiences, or food and drink rituals that are gaining popularity. This could include concepts like grab-and-go meals, interactive food experiences, personalized nutrition, or subscription-based services.
- Monitoring global and regional trends to deliver insights into overarching consumer behaviours, regional trends and the needs of diverse consumer segments.
- Analysis of consumer preferences including taste preferences, flavour profiles, texture preferences, and overall nutritional and dietary requirements.
- Solving consumer problems by identifying pain points and challenges that consumers face, and by doing so shape products that address specific consumer needs. This could include creating convenient meal options for busy individuals, allergen-free alternatives, or sustainable packaging solutions.
- Developing unique value propositions by understanding consumer desires and unmet needs, enabling the development of products that offer something new and exciting. For example, the inclusion of novel ingredients, the creation of unique flavour combinations, or developing innovative packaging or delivery methods.
- Enhancing consumer experience by gaining an understanding of consumer behaviours and preferences, thus enabling the design of packaging, labels, and brand presentations that will engage the identified target audience. Insight can also inform decisions regarding product positioning, pricing, and marketing strategies to effectively engage consumers and build brand loyalty.
- Anticipating future demands enabling the creation of products that are aligned with future needs. This proactive approach can give businesses a competitive advantage and position them as sector leaders.
Insight and ideation are valuable tools for shaping successful, future-proofed food and drink product concepts, enabling companies to position themselves ahead of the curve by developing products that are designed to meet emerging and future consumer demands. By incorporating these disciplines into the product development process, companies can shape concepts that are future-proofed to withstand evolving consumer preferences and that resonate with consumers in a dynamic marketplace.
If you’d like to find out more about how I help my clients with insight, ideation and innovation, ping me an email so we can schedule a call.
Call: +44 (0) 207 205 2998 or email today for an initial chat.
Last Updated on 08/07/2023 by Eddie Stableford